Tuesday, May 8, 2007

our new home away from home

This is Mary writing this early am. We arrived safe and sound and tired last night. It was a challenge to set up tents in the dark, but all is well and we're settling into our new homes. There are 19 of us here - 19 courageous and eager souls waiting to serve the people here in Buras.

The group we are working with, Emergency communities (EC) is gracious and dedicated. I suspect we'll learn about service from them as some have been here a year. Today some of us will work/play with children, some of us will work on projects around the compound.... lots to do here as the building was pretty much destroyed. We're getting our first-hand glimpse of the area damage as we walk around in the sunlight this morning.

Most of us slept in bits and pieces--- getting used to new surroundings, some a little homesick, some just adjusting to the new noises. Don't know how many other volunteers we have here, but we'll soon find out as we have a big group meeting at 8 this morn.

On a final note, the coffee is STRONG CAJUN COFFEE and believe me I am just sippin on it since I'm a decaf drinker! :)

be well and be grateful,
Mary B

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for doing this..I am amazed by the group and what you are doing. We are certainly supporting you up here in TN!

Sheryl said...

To the brave and courageous,
I want to express how great I think it is that you have dedicated your time to help those in need. I can't even imagine the conditions that everyone is enduring. You are outstanding individuals and I commend you.