Tuesday, May 8, 2007

1st Official Day

Hey everybody--this is Cassia!
I'm just going to give everyone a quick update on how it's going (well from my perspective). The road trip was awesome!! There were no arguements and everyone stayed in good humor. Which was fanstastic (that's one of the things I worry about) and other than trying to figure out if we were lost or not it was alright. One of the things I remember from yesterday that totally rocked was our last rest stop before we hit New Orleans. We were watching some of the girls do the traditional cartwheels and then we all decided to play 'Duck, Duck, Goose' which was AMAZING--watching all the college students play something that I haven't played since I was in the 3rd grade. We were going to play 'Red Rover' but we had to leave so I think we're going to save that for the trip back ;)

Being here is different. It's unlike anywhere I've ever been, but it's beautiful in it's own way. Certainly there's the debris everwhere, but there's also those spots that have been made beautiful again or in some cases remained beautiful. There's a wall coming out of Tent City into the main part and on it is a Navajo prayer (I'll write it down when I have a chance) but it seems to be the theme for this place because beauty isn't just in the physical structure of things but in the hearts and attitudes of the people here.

I'm sure it will get hard and there will be some moments when we question ourselves and the reasons we are here. But it won't last forever and it will just make us all stronger and better and I think that is what we want.

Have a great day everyone!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you rock cassia